Select Language:


families 4 peace

Frequently asked questions

Homes for Ukraine Visa scheme guidance:

How can I register with a doctor and get medication in the UK?

Register with a GP (General Practice) as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK. More information on how to register with a GP can be found at the following link:

To locate a GP in your area:

Please call 999 or 112 in times of life-threatening situations. 111 should be called for non-emergencies.

Where and how can I get a blood test done in the UK?

Most blood tests only take a few minutes to complete and are carried out at your GP surgery or local hospital by a doctor, nurse or phlebotomist (a specialist in taking blood samples). Please follow the link below for more useful information:

Can I drive in the UK with my Ukrainian driving license?

Ukrainian driving licenses are valid for the first 3 years after you arrive in the UK. After three years, you will need to exchange it for a British licence.

Check what requirements your vehicle needs to meet in the UK here:

Are there any discounted driving lessons for Ukrainian refugees in the UK?

The AA Charitable Trust supports Ukrainian refugees in the UK by offering a free Drive Confident UK driving familiarisation course from AA Driving School and BSM.

The driving course comprises of one two-hour practical driving refresher lesson with a driving instructor in their tuition car. It is for qualified drivers with a full driving licence and is subject to availability of instructors.

More information:

How can I find a host in the UK?

Please check the UK government's official list of charities/organisations that can help you find a host in the UK:

Ukrainian nationals are strongly urged to use the UK government’s recognised providers for those seeking to arrive in the UK via the Homes for Ukraine visa scheme. Finding a host via social media such as Facebook, Instagram or Telegram carries many risks and should be avoided.

Here are some tips on how to stay safe when you meet a sponsor online:

How can I find a new host (rematch) under the Homes for Ukraine scheme?

If you are in the UK on a Homes for Ukraine visa and your current hosts are no longer able to accommodate you but you are not ready to move into your own independent accommodation, you may want to consider finding a new host.

You could find a new host through:

a recognised provider or The local council

Once you have found a new host, it is very important that you contact your local council as soon as possible so that they can approve the new arrangement. This should happen before you move in with a new host.

More information can be found at the following link:

How can I get a dentist appointment in the UK?

To receive dental care in the UK you must register with a dental practise. To locate a dentist near you:

Dentists are open for urgent and routine treatments. If you're registered with a dentist, you can contact the surgery by phone or in person.

You might be asked to wait for an appointment if it's not urgent.

If you need dental treatment in an emergency:
call a dentist: some surgeries offer urgent appointments at short notice
if you do not have a dentist, find one by calling NHS 111

If you need to see a dentist out of hours:
call a dentist: their voicemail may advise where to get out-of-hours treatment
call NHS 111 to find an out-of-hours dental service near you

GPs do not offer emergency or out of hours dental care in the UK.

If you're in pain while waiting to see a dentist, call the NSH on 111. This service can also offer self-care advice.

More information can be found at the following link:

Am I entitled to free NHS dental treatment in England?

NHS dental care is free only in the following circumstances:

Under 18 years of age, or under 19 years of age and in full-time education
Pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months
Being treated in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist (but you may have to pay for any dentures or bridges)
Receiving low income benefits, or you're under 20 years of age and a dependant of someone receiving low income benefits

You're entitled to free NHS dental treatment if you or your spouse (including civil partner) receive:

Income Support
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
Universal Credit (in certain circumstances)

More information:

Can I get any financial help in the UK?

Ukrainian refugees on the Homes for Ukraine visa scheme are entitled to a one-off payment of £200 per person. Contact the Camden council to get this. Here:

You can also apply for Universal Credit. Universal Credit is a benefit paid to you each month if you do not have a job, cannot work or you’re on a low income. The amount you get depends on things like if you have a child or need help with housing costs.

To receive your Universal Credit payments you should have a UK based bank account. If for any reason you are unable to open a UK bank account you can still get benefits, but you’ll have to collect your benefits in person and take proof of identity with you.

Read more on setting up a bank account here:

If you have children:
You can apply for Child Benefit if you have one or more children in the UK with you. If successful, you’ll get £21.80 a week for your eldest or only child and £14.45 for each additional child.

You might also be able to get help to pay for childcare if your child is not in school yet. You can apply for a school place once your child is 4 years-old.

If you’re aged 66 years of age or over:
You can apply for Pension Credit to get extra money each week.

There’s different guidance for getting Pension Credit if you’re in Northern Ireland.

Do the benefits get cancelled or changed when a child turns 16?

Your Child Benefit stops on 31 August on or after your child’s 16th birthday if they leave education or training. You will continue to receive this benefit if your child continues in approved education or training, but you must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

More information:

I have to go abroad for more than one month. How do I not lose my Universal Credit?

Individuals who are currently still in Ukraine and unable to return to the UK should check the guidance from the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office.

If you are currently in receipt of a benefit and unable to return to the UK, DWP will look to take a flexible and understanding approach and you should contact your Work Coach, the relevant disability benefit helpline, or the relevant Local Authority for housing benefit for further advice.

More information on the topic:

Can I get help looking for a job in the UK?

You can use the ‘Find a job’ service to search and apply for jobs.

If you claim benefits, there’s support to help you find work, such as training schemes and work experience.
We also suggest you seek employment support from Camden council as well as monitor employment opportunities and apply for jobs on:

Get support Get Involved Donate